House Battery Part 3

IMG_5528Day 2 chronicles the continued adventure of wiring required to hook up the WFCO wf-8725 converter in my camper. I might just make it ready by the weekend….

First on my list was to run a DC positive from my converter up to the point where my existing lights were fed. There were two possible leads here, but I made a guess by noticing the exterior marker lights using yellow wire, and interior using brown. These all collide at the old Frankenstein switch, so I rigged it up so it will power the running lights when I want.IMG_5526

After hooking up 1 of my 3 DC circuits for existing lights, I had an inquisitive helper join me. He stood watch while I moved on to wiring in the existing AC receptacle. Other than wrestling with the stiffness of the wire, it was rather uneventful.

IMG_5538In preparation for a good chassis ground (I vowed to do better than the pick-a-rivet method currently employed) I cut the paneling to expose the frame in the cabinet. I equipped a wire brush on my dremel and cleaned it up. Reaching in, I noticed the support member for the icebox was loose, so I sunk a few nails in to shore it up.

Daylight was beginning to dwindle at this point, so I turned my focus outside to the input. Most RV’s and campsites these days utilize 30 or even 50 amp hookups. I’ve been tempted to install a 30 amp service, and the converter will use it, but it’s nice to stay @ 15, knowing I can plug into any extension cord.IMG_5533

The gasket had worn out, so I got another taste of bugs while pulling the exterior plate off. It was a challenge replacing the wire, as it was recessed inside a small round hole. I made short work of it, though and made sure to clean and apply a generous bead of silicone when I reattached the receptacle. I also took the opportunity to replace the rusty screws with some roofing ones I had laying around, complete with their own rubber washers.

IMG_5536Now came the moment I had been dreading. There was no use putting it off, I HAD to focus on the AC connection to the converter. Luckily, when moving the faceplate, I discovered a NEW wiring diagram on the rear. Lo and behold, it was the schematic for wiring the AC to the breakers, YAY! Filled with hope, I was able to complete it (I think).IMG_5537

IMG_5539Under the power of my makita flash light I finished tidying up my other wires. The converter will feed 3 more separate DC circuits, so I stowed those away for later use. The only thing remaining now is to run the battery leads, and start testing each piece of the system. Wish me luck, and stay tuned for more!

Advertisements

2 responses to “House Battery Part 3

  1. I’m skipping back to read the first part of this electrical re-do of your camper. We purchased an older camper ourselves last summer. I focused mainly on cleaning and re-upholstering the thing, as well as removing moldy panelling and insulation. But we haven’t tried to plug it in yet or run the propane or check the water tank- we got too busy with hunting season. I’ll be bookmarking your post, as the campers look similar 🙂 My most recent post was the story of how we got it.

    • Growing up tent-camping, I could certainly relate to your story. I’ve woken in puddles too many times. Mine, too is a $200 “hunter’s special” we call them. Another challenge I have is those darn louvered windows I see on both ours (some of mine have fallen out and been replaced by plexiglass). They let in a fine layer of dust on the back-roads. I’ll let you know if I fix it, thanks for the comment, and good luck with your project!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s