My First Carb Rebuild–Part 1

IMG_6568Let me start by being completely honest, I know very little about carburetors. Prior to starting this project, I knew it’s job was to mix air and gas “just right.” Sure, the local cycle shop would rebuild it (faster) for cheap, but then I’d miss a perfectly good learning opportunity. Instead, I’ve elected to dive in, learn, and figure it out as I go.

IMG_6575First, some background on my project. I acquired a ‘94 Suzuki Quadrunner LT-4wd 250cc four-wheeler from a Craigslist ad for $200. At that price, surprisingly, it isn’t a pile of junk. The story goes that 4 years ago, it was rolled in an accident, causing extensive exterior damage. (The racks and handlebars suffered the brunt of it.) The seller (son of owner) tried fixing it up about 2 years ago and claims to have had it running, but not well. He was about to work on the carburetor, when life got crazy. Now, he’s moving stuff and just needed it gone from the barn that it was sheltered in.

IMG_6638The ex had called to re-arrange the kids’ visitation schedule at the last minute so (in my unexpected idleness) I found and seized this ad, driving 3 hours each way to retrieve it. When I got home, I unloaded it, took some pics, and gave it a good spray-down with the hose. I placed the front rack where it should go, and let my imagination have fun. You see, my family had a model JUST like this one. They climb really well, and I have many fond memories of riding it.

I started with a bunch of research. These days, there are tons of videos on Youtube about how a carb. works, removing, cleaning, ‘jetting’ etc. I watched a few, and sought out a manual. With manual in hand, I ordered a carb. rebuild kit, oil filter, & hand-brake lever. I waited eagerly for the parts to arrive.IMG_6639

Once parts were in hand, I could stand it no longer, so I went out to remove the carb. It had been detached from the air flow system 2 years ago, and was rather filthy, but I wasn’t expecting 7 different hoses. I took at least one picture from every angle, and started labeling them with a sharpie on masking tape. “Pass. Top” “Pass. Bottom” “Dr Front/Middle/Bottom” Etcetera…

IMG_6643As I started removing them, I could REALLY smell the bad gas. Two wouldn’t come off freely, as these turned out to be cables. “One must be the throttle,” I thought, but was puzzled as to the other. I opened the access plate, and had troubles getting the cable off. Time to grab the manual. Thanks to my tablet, I had 300 pages of know-how propped up for perusal.IMG_6646

Oh, the manual says (repeatedly) to thoroughly clean everything before disassembly, to prevent junk from getting in there. This makes sense, but seeing as it’s been apart for 2 years (and getting rebuilt) I wasn’t too worried. I’ll be sure to give the whole cavity a good cleaning with the shop-vac. Having disengaged the throttle and “starter plunger,” I was able to remove the carb.

IMG_6645Disclaimer: This post is NOT meant as a reference to anyone, for any purpose. It’s merely my journey of learning. Anyone taking advice from a complete NOOB should have their head examined, and pay me copious amounts of cash. Therefore, I’m not liable for anything anyone does with this information. So There!

(Stay Tuned for more)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s