Bathroom Remodel–Part 3

IMG_0429In part 3, I “divide and conquer” by constructing new stuff!IMG_0430

First thing on my list was to run the new branch circuit(s). Fortunately, the rear of my breaker panel (where all my wires go vertical) is accessible from a stairwell. Knowing that there was loose insulation above, I applied good ‘ol duct tape over the seams of the overhead boards. This kept stuff from raining down on my stairwell.

The wires were all stuffed through a couple tiny holes, so I decided to expose them all and make running wire much easier. This rained insulation down, but gave me a good target for putting wires through from above.

IMG_0431I ran my first circuit of romex to a stud in the attic. This first branch circuit will give me power in the attic, which may someday become a whole room. For now, it’ll be convenient for power tools, fans, etc.IMG_0432

The next run went the opposite direction, under the window and toward the bathroom. It was oh-so-messy, but I dropped that right through my new light box. Later, I realized I need to feed the GFCI plug at the sink first, so that’ll have to be pulled back.

I was tired of walking on the joists, so I cleared an area to lay down one of my 4×8 sheets of plywood. I also took measurements to discover the top side of an old chimney. (I’ll be removing that soon, too.)

IMG_0440Next, I had to address leveling issues. My floor had a huge hump in the middle, where someone had jacked it up and added 2” to the supports. Underneath, I found these were on top of some old bricks. I excavated a spot for my 12” paver, then used my 20-ton jack and a 4×4 to relieve them, and removing 1” of support. To my great surprise, when I took the weight off, the beam just hung in the air! (It took a couple days for the memory to relax.)

IMG_0449

TBear helped me with the floor supports, while Queen Marie removed linoleum and glue from where the new partition wall was to be. I wasn’t ready to close off the bathroom yet, but needed enough studs to mount my electrical outlet.

At 8ft and 2 (no 4), no 3inches high. (Did I mention how uneven things are?) I had brought home all 10ft 2×4’s for this purpose, and was generating lots of little scraps. Fortunately these were just the right size to brace between the three new IMG_0453studs I installed.

I’m taking special care to make everything I change level, straight, and plum. This is sometimes a challenge, as I can’t trust my eye, and must rely on the bubbles in my levels. The stud against the wall touches at the top, but has a 1.5” gap at the bottom. Fortunately, you won’t be able to tell once it’s all covered up with drywall!

Next, I moved on to the light switch. This will be inside the new door to the rear bathroom. First, I located the stud nearest the exterior wall by guess-timating and the hole/finger method. Within 2 inches, I then used my reciprocating saw to cut over and make a seam along the stud. IMG_0454

After establishing where the door jam was to be, I left enough room for trim and split the distance between it and the exterior wall. My next hole confirmed that in that space, from attic to cellar was a 4” cast-iron sewer vent! It’s not hooked up any more, just collecting rain and transporting it to my foundation… great…

With that bit of news, I called it quits and enjoyed the rest of the weekend with the kids & Birdy. Later, I finally hooked up with the plumber and discussed the whole project. Plans were finalized, and I ordered all the bits and pieces to start on the wet stuff.

That and more on the next installment!

Advertisements

One response to “Bathroom Remodel–Part 3

  1. Oh my, overwhelms me just reading it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s