When I bought the house, I had no grand illusions that anything was up to date, but when I peeled back the contact paper to reveal my countertops, I found a cracked, chipped plastic from the 50’s. Worse, moisture had worked its way in and rusted the metal underneath.
With new countertops low on the priority list, I decided to try laying in some self-leveling concrete mix, then seal it to provide a workable surface. As luck would have it, something better came along. Someone was advertising granite, and other rock countertop pieces available, ‘make offer.’ I hoped they had a couple slabs that would fit.
As a general rule, used items should be 1/2 of new to be a deal for me. By square footage, that meant about $30 per chunk. The guy was happy with $20 a slab, as they cost him just time & gas. We found 2 matching pieces the right size, and an oval from an under-mount sink that I’ll use for a hot pad/cutting board.
Removing the tops took some persuasion, as the nuts were rusted pretty good. I used some WD-40 on the little bolts, and discovered some really old wall paper hiding behind the cupboard. Each piece was just a few inches larger than what it replaced, causing some overhang. Unfortunately, it’s not quite enough to saw off for a backsplash.
I ended up placing the old metal backsplashes at the rear for now, until I have a better plan. I’ve really enjoyed them for the past few weeks. Only trouble is, I don’t know how I could go back to a lesser product in the future…
Anyway, that’s one little thing checked off my list, better attend to the bigger ones too!