Bathroom Remodel–Part 9

IMG_1745I once heard someone call code enforcement “the department of making people sad.” My experience certainly resulted in some negative emotion. Read on to find out how it went…

Inspection day was here at last. I had my plumber look at things, and give a nod, so I was fairly confident in the outcome. (That was my first mistake, being optimistic again…) I was told he’d be by before lunch, so I took the morning off work. Turns out, I wasn’t actually on his list for some reason, so they tacked me on the end of the route, and I took the rest of the day off. Nothing like adding one more “do it yourself-er” to an inspectors day to put him in a good mood.

I knew my new 4” ventilation shaft was overkill, what I didn’t know was that it touched my sewer lines in the wrong places. I figured that wherever water was flowing down a pipe, there had to be air to come behind it from somewhere. (Yes, but that’s not all.) When there’s a P-Trap (every sink, shower, tub) the vent must introduce air right after the trap, or else it could suck the P-Trap dry, allowing sewer gases to escape. (This is why toilets gargle air, but they refill themselves.)

My ventilation was too far from the P-Traps, so I ended up cutting out and replacing a lot of my 4” plumbing, and adding individual pipes for ventilation. On the bright side, I had a lot more room IMG_1743behind the new shower. Unfortunately, I had to dismount the toilet. Two weekends later, the inspector came back. I had graduated from “nothing right about it” to “good enough.” IMG_1893

With approval of the new tub/shower, I was able to demolish the old one to make room for the new 1-piece stall shower. I planned to reuse the fittings, but wasn’t sure about the surround. I found a heat gun would release the adhesive and allow me to remove it. However, the material was too thin, and warped under the heat, rendering it garbage.

IMG_1902Birdy was excited to help out, so together we made short work of removing the old tub. To bring in the new shower, we’d have to open the doorway. We gently removed the trim, door, and casing. Then I cut the nearest stud out, and removed the wall material on both sides. This stud goes straight down to a beam underneath. However, it had deteriorated, so I’ll replace it with new material.IMG_1906

The stall shower fit through fine, and we placed it where it belongs. With that done, I can really start tying up loose ends. In the next update, the new toilet and tub should be fully operational!

Until then, thanks for reading!

 

IMG_1917IMG_1914IMG_1894IMG_1901

Advertisements

2 responses to “Bathroom Remodel–Part 9

  1. I’ve been wondering, since you got the new windows, did the kitchen get one too?

    • Nope, I’m replacing sets that are alike. The 3 living room are one set, and the 3 beds & bath are a set. The kitchen and back porch windows are unique, so they’ll be replaced whenever is convenient. I was thinking of putting a garden window there, as it could house some herbs…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s